7.12.2009

Zills, Sagat






I can play the zills, but there is room for improvement to say the least. I attended a mini workshop today at the Lotus Arts Studio. Somra taught the class a true MASTER of the zills. She is phenomenal. If I could only play them like my sister in the dance! We review all of the rhythms with such enthusiasm. My fingers re-learned old favorites and explored moving the fingers in a break thumb speed; which did not work well for me. (improvement needed!) I'm going back to the zill drills, everyone at home will hate me for sure. Socks or mufflers will be in order to accomplish this feat.

Along with the zill instruction, we had the opportunity to practice a few of the vintage dance movements. Wow, so much to learn!

Now eager to purchase a pair of the Moroccan Castanets and African Iron Castanets (Frikywa)...I will need to make a pack with myself. Play the originals better, then move on to something more challenging. I no doubt have a lot of work to do ;)

**take a look at Lotus Arts Studio offering various mini workshops with local instructors!

No comments: